Windows 10 - Finally upgraded

PC related discussion here only.
l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Windows 10 - Finally upgraded

Post by l2es-mrix » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 am

Hello all, have read a little more into the Windows 10 operating system I decided to finally give it a shot and upgraded today :!:
Its so much more compatible with many of my older programs which still now run :D 8)
It does take a little while to get your head around it if you have never tried windows 8 but generally its pretty good and not far different from Windows 7 from a usability point of view.

You do get the option to downgrade again but from my initial view I can see me now staying with this new operating system which is Free to upgrade for a year.
Cheers all
|2es-mrix

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Put it on my step dad's new netbook, still looks an eyesore compared to win 7 with all that app pish and what not, but a step up from win 8..which is not hard! ;) I'll see how it comes along with gaming compatibility before upgrading myself though. You should be fine with browsing the web/emailing though mrix as you quit gaming ;)

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Post by l2es-mrix » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:41 pm

You should be fine with browsing the web/emailing though mrix as you quit gaming
In the words of the Big man.......... I`ll be Back!!!!

Cheers
|2es-mrix

l2es-GrIm
SWTOR Moderator
Location: 6 boring street in the town of boring county boring

Post by l2es-GrIm » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm

i upgraded and apart from a issue with teamspeak its good for wow gaming and broadcasting my stream as well as other games
YOU CANT ESCAPE POLITICS YOU EITHER PLAY OR YOU GET PLAYED
- Henrietta "Hetty" Lange ncis la character
fav song of the moment
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Er6l7UOnbI[/youtube]

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Post by l2es-mrix » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Hello all, here is a list one of my members made up on another forum I have which is pretty useful for anyone deciding to upgrade / install Windows 10

The first thing to note is that, if you haven't yet installed Windows 10 but you plan on doing so, make sure you that you do a custom install so you'll be able to pick and choose what is enabled at the onset. But, if you installed Windows 10 using Express settings, you can still disable some of the default privacy settings.

From the start button, click "Settings" and then click "Privacy" and click the "General" tab on the left sidebar. Under that tab you'll see a few sliders where you can toggle certain features on or off.

The top toggle button is the most important as it disables the advertising ID for each user. But, if you want to cover your bases, you should go ahead disable the rest of the options as well.

After turning off the options under the general tab, you can jump down to the next tab down, "Location," and turn off location data for all apps or specific ones. That's not necessarily new to WIndows 10, but it's something that many security-conscious folks like to do.

Next, you'll want to head down to the tab labeled "Speech, inking, and typing." Here you can disable Cortana from gathering information about you by clicking the "Stop getting to know me" button towards the middle of the screen.

Keep in mind, clicking this will also disable Cortana and dictation.

Moving on, click the "Other devices" tab at the bottom of the list. Under this tab you'll be able to turn off the "Sync with devices" feature. In the example given by Microsoft, this could be used for connecting with beacons, which are typically used for advertising purposes.

If you want to kill this feature, slide the first button to the off position. If you want, you can also turn off syncing for trusted devices as well.

Now, back out to the general settings and click "Network and internet." In that window click "Manage Wi-Fi settings" toward the middle of the screen.

Here you'll be able to customize your setting for the Wi-Fi Sense feature. If you want to keep everything private, click all the sliders until the read "off" and uncheck the boxes on the page. If not, you can select which features to turn off individually.

One of the final security checks you can do is to opt out of the personalized ads while browsing in Microsoft Edge. Click the following link or paste it into your browser: https://choice.microsoft.com/en-gb/opt-out

Click the Xs next to the options to turn off "Personalised ads in this browser" and "Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account."

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Cannot Connect to Windows 10 Store

Post by l2es-mrix » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Here is an issue I confronted which took me a fair while to track down to find a fix.
You cannot connect to the store app..

Run services.msc and check the DNS Client service. If it's disabled, enable it and this should resolve the issue.