so whats it all about

Please only EVE Online Corporation related posts here please.
l2es-rembrandt

so whats it all about

Post by l2es-rembrandt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:34 pm

So whats so special about it and will it take over my life :(

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:51 pm

You need a degree in "stuff" or be called Stephen Hawkings to understand it all! Not for the faint hearted m8. Try b4 you buy!

l2es-rembrandt

Post by l2es-rembrandt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:58 pm

just had a look at the web pages and totaly confused my self looks way to complicated for a part time gamer like me :wink:

KopMcginty

Re: so whats it all about

Post by KopMcginty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:03 pm

|2es-rembrandt wrote:So whats so special about it and will it take over my life :(
Most open ended sandbox style MMO out there.

It has guns, missiles and pewpew. Both pve and pvp.

No such thing as 'bind on equip/pickup' You can and will lose everything fitted to your ship in the blink of an eye. You can loot the remains to get some of it back but the guy that blew you up will get there before you.

Not into pvp or a bit skint from being blown up then you can avoid pvp. There are areas of space that are 'mostly' safe (no where in eve is 100% safe from attack or being scammed) where if you arent blind drunk youi should be nice and safe.

0.0 space is lawless. There are no npc guards of any sort and the vast majority of systems out there have no npc stations either. This is where players own the space themselves through corps and alliances. 0.0 is a wonderful mix of fat money making opportunities, brutal selfish players and some of the most incredible back stabbing politics you could imagine. Players team up to build their own infrastructure of stations and defenses etc and then get their angry head on in a non friend shows up.

If you dont want to fight, there are opportunities to make your way by resource gathering, manufacturing and trading though even this is pvp enabled as almost all of the games economy is player driven. Price wars and real pewpew wars over trade are common.

Combat is non twitch, more a tactical and strategic affair. What you fit to what ship has huge reprecussions and there are many approaches to fighting. No single cookie cutter I win set up.

That is just a drop in the ocean of what eve is about, think Elite and you are in the right general area.

As to will it take over your life? It is an MMO so yes. If you let it. I lost myself to eve totally first time i subbed to the point I was spending 14 hours a day playing.. :oops:

That said you can also quite easily do just an hour or two here and there. Charecters deverlop over time rather than through actions.\ More time means more money and things to dio but you will have roughly the same amount of skillpoints after a week regardless of the number of hours played.
I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that wont work.
-Thomas Edison.

KopMcginty

Post by KopMcginty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:06 pm

As a newbie, key is to find someone to guide you in. It can be mindblowing in scope but that initial effort is well worth it IMO.

Just finished installing client. Even if I dont resub either of my accounts I will be running a 14 day trial myself to get back into it.
I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that wont work.
-Thomas Edison.

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm

cool kop choose minmitar!